Expert Auto Fiberglass Repair
Fiberglass is a popular material used in designing the body of vehicles. Due to its durability and visual appeal, many consumers choose it when buying an automobile. Unlike other materials, fiberglass needs extra care and, if not maintained properly, could be damaged. Dallas Auto Paint provides you with all the repair solutions you might need for auto fiberglass in McKinney, TX.
Principles in Fiberglass Repairs
Any professional will tell you that four fundamental principles guide fiberglass repairs. To have successful auto fiberglass repairs in McKinney, TX, we follow them exactly.
Difference Between the Composite and Original Parts
Composite parts are always different from the original parts that came with your vehicle. Fiberglass repairs are dependent on the adhesive value of the resin to ensure that it bonds properly with the primary structure. For this, we ensure that our repairs involve resin that’s as strong as the one used in the original parts.
Large surface area enhances the strength of composite repairs. Since fiberglass depends on the adhesion forces that will bind the repair to the primary structure, increase in the surface area will automatically enhance the bond. This, in turn, increases both the durability and strength of the repair.
- Scarf sanding- this method entails sanding the areas next to the damage. In this procedure, we use a high speed compressed air power sander. Of all methods, this is the easiest.
- Step sanding- this determines the size needed for the inner repair. The next step is the removal of the surrounding damaged material. This method as compared to its alternatives causes considerable growth of the repaired surface. If not done properly, it may cause formation of both built joints and abrupt edges for the repaired plies.
Toning the Repair with the Original
Although the composite material is different from the original, we make sure that the thickness, ply orientation, and density are similar to that of your original car parts. This is because if the repair is thicker, it becomes stiffer. Similarly, if strength points are introduced, it can cause the whole repair process to fail.
This is the method we use during the repair session because it is an assurance that the repaired structure will be able to withstand the same weight as the original. Doing this ensures that weight is dispersed equally.
Steps of Fiberglass Repair
When repairing fiberglass, we use the following steps:
- Damage measurement and determination – for this step, we conduct inspection to see the extent of damage. Whether it’s a tear, hole/puncture, crushed core, or delamination, we can repair it
- Damage removal and surface preparation- at this step, depending on the level of damage, we either remove the entire damaged part or simply repair it
- We then conduct surface preparation
- Lamination of the repair patch
- Lastly, we do repair inspection, to ensure that everything has been done properly before we hand over your vehicle to you.
At Dallas Auto Paint, you also get helpful tips for caring for your fiberglass automobile:
- When cleaning, always use proper products, not just the cheapest ones
- While washing, use quality grease cutting detergents to remove the old wax
- Always wash your car in the shade (not in direct sunlight or when the exterior is hot)
- Make use of microfiber sponges and towels to protect your paint job.